Good health isn’t an accident. It’s a conscious effort.
A little self-discipline can go a long way. Especially when it comes to your health. Coming up with a plan for living your life in a healthier way and sticking to it can help you:
• Stop eating unhealthy food
• Reduce alcohol consumption
• Exercise on a regular basis
• Lose weight
• Quit smoking
• Avoid acting impulsively
• Control your temper
Of course, developing and maintaining that self-discipline and self-control isn’t
always easy. The great writer Oscar Wilde summed up his own failure to do so by saying “I can resist everything…except temptation.” But it’s not hopeless.
Want to get a handle on self-discipline for your health’s sake? Here are a few tips that may help:
• Make a plan with clear goals
• Keep your plan simple so it becomes fixed in your mind
• Remove obvious temptations
• Make conscious decisions to follow your plan, i.e. “exercise on purpose”
• Celebrate when you stick to the plan and forgive your setbacks
Discipline is mind over matter. It’s time to wrap your mind around a healthier you.
Dr. Kezia Sam is an internal medicine specialist at White Plains Hospital Physician Associates of New Rochelle.